Thursday, March 09, 2006

Open Sharing of Information

Yesterday, I had an interesting conversation with a long time friend who shall stay anonymous. He has been keeping reef tanks for well over 10 years and is now dealing in rare marine fish. He told me that he was finished with having people over to see his tanks because they just want to know where he got a certain fish or coral. Trying to find out his sources, and just pumping him for information about his techniques on reef keeping.
I respect his views but I feel that he is so wrong, communication between hobbyists is crucial. Of course he would not be where he is without other hobbyists sharing information with him.
So, I wonder were would the hobby be without the sharing of ideas anecdotal, scientific or just plain crazy ones.
Even though I have a background in marine biology most of my practical hands on info has come from talking to other aquarists and by trial and error with my own tanks and passing on what works and doesn't work.

I curious to find out what people think about this subject.

Keep on Reefin'

James

No comments: